Monday, September 26, 2016

In Which Atara Gets a Raise and New Bandage Scissors

I got a new job.

The story leading up to that is full of treachery and tears and extra medications and my therapist has it added to the list of Things That Happened to Abby in 2016, so I don't care to talk about it here, so moving on.

I'm now going to be working at a large emergency and specialty care hospital.

Pros to this development:
1. It's only a 10 minute, really pretty drive from our house
2. I've always been super interested in emergency medicine
3. I think I'll be good at it because whenever medical emergencies happen, I'm the creepy person who's just really interested and totally not emotionally invested in it at all in the moment, and just see it as a problem to be addressed*
4. I already have several good friends working there
5. Pay raise
6. People seem super friendly and helpful thus far

*When medical emergencies happen to animals or other people, that is. If it's me, all bets are off. Usually I have a panicky meltdown if it's something which might involve needles. If I think it will only involve Xrays and such, I think it's all funny.

Anyway, I went to my first day of orientation and my first action was to disturb some poor person and make an idiot of myself.

I had parked, and started walking towards the hospital, when I saw two kitties in the back of a car, so of course I went over to say hello.


"What do you want?"


I wanted to take a picture for my crazy cat man, so I scratched lightly on the window to try to get the orange kitty to look at me.
No luck.
I scratched again.
LO AND BEHOLD THE BLANKETS STARTED MOVING. The kitties were not alone! They had a human person with them!
I did not wait to see who their companion was--I hastened away, muttering apologies into the wind.

Orientation itself consisted of a lot of paperwork and boring training videos about the software we'll be using that would be easier to learn just from spending half an hour in front of the actual computer with the actual software and somebody telling us to actually just look stuff up ourselves but you know, whatevs.

Oh, we did get yummy free lunch.

Gyro of Yummy

And a fellow orientee* had this epic Smaug tattoo (also the tree of Gondor, but I was more interested in Smaug).

"My armour is like tenfold shields . . . and my breath death!"


*I just made that word up

And best of all, they gave me my very own teeny calculator, a nice thermometer (laaadies), and BANDAGE SCISSORS.

The end





















No comments:

Post a Comment